Rather than use disposable dishes that get thrown away into the nearly full Miramar landfill, students can reserve the SSC’s reusable dishware to be used at their events completely free.
Having an event? Think twice before using disposable dishes that get thrown away and enter the almost full Miramar Landfill. The SSC’s Reusable Dishware Program is easy, free for Student Organizations, and better for us all. The SSC supports locally produced and sustainable products and aim to support more local sustainable businesses. We have recently re-vamped our reusable dish ware program with Fire & Light Dish ware. We currently have 125 plate bowls and 125 glasses to be used by organizations for their events.
Fire & Light
Based out of Arcata, CA has a “noteworthy heritage, formed in 1995 as a partnership between the Arcata Community Recycling Center in Humboldt County, California, and a group of local investors who wanted to develop an innovative plan for using crushed, recycled glass. Fire & Light still strives to find new ways to incorporate recycling into our production process, like using recycled beer kegs from local microbreweries as vats to cool our ladles.”
-From the Fire & Light website (http://www.fireandlight.com)
More information: learn more about how the dishware program works, where the dishes come from and how you can utilize the program for your future events.
Inventory: see what we have to rent. rent dishes for your upcoming event!
Please read below before filling out the Dishware Rental Program form online:
- Submit the Dishware Rental Form (found below) to the SSC no less than one (1) week before your event.
- The SSC will contact you with an approval no less than four (4) days before your event.
- You will be assigned an SSC liaison, with whom you will coordinate drop-off and pick-up times for the dishware.
- Your event happens!
- The dishware is picked-up and checked by the SSC. If damages are assessed, they are charged to the index provided on the Dishware Rental Form.
- The Dishware Rental Program now caters to off-campus events as well.
- For off-campus events, we request that dishes are rinsed before being returned.
The dishware program is coming soon!
Please check back soon for updates!