Fast Track Application:
TGIF Spring Cycle Application:
TGIFApplication2015-2016About TGIF at the SSC
In Winter 2009, the students at UC San Diego approved the Sustainability Referendum thereby increasing undergraduate student fees in order to provide funding for both the Student Sustainability Collective and The Green Initiative Fund.
Our Mission Statement: The Green Initiative Fund (TGIF) provides funding for projects that reduce UC San Diego’s negative impact on the environment and to make UC San Diego more sustainable in both the social and environmental sense. The goal is to enable and empower students to take an active role in making UC San Diego a leader in sustainability by bringing solutions and ideas to as much of the UCSD community as possible.
What are we up to? Here’s a list of upcoming events, application deadlines, and more ways to get involved!
Upcoming Events & Application Deadlines:
The TGIF Application is now open! The links for the Fast Track and Spring Cycle Application are above. The Fast Track application is accepted on a rolling basis throughout the year. The Spring Cycle Application is due Friday, February 12th. If you have any questions or need help preparing for the Spring Cycle, please visit our TGIF Facebook Page or email our TGIF directors at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The TGIF directors’ weekly office hours in the Sustainability Resource Center are Monday and Wednesday 2-3pm, Tuesday 12:00-1:30pm and Friday 12:00-1:30pm and 2-3pm.
The TGIF directors will host an info session Wednesday, January 27th (week 4) at 5:45pm.
All projects to be considered for TGIF funding must meet the following criteria:
- Projects must promote environmental or social sustainability on UCSD’s campus. Off-campus activities must have a strong emphasis and tangible impact on UCSD’s campus.
- Projects must have a clearly-defined, measurable outcome.
- Project proposals may only be submitted by UCSD students or on behalf of student organizations that have significant undergraduate involvement. Outside organizations, staff, and faculty may not apply. However, students are encouraged to apply in collaboration with faculty and/or staff advisors to help with project implementation.
- Projects shall have received all necessary written approval by appropriate campus officials prior to consideration.
- TGIF will not support projects already mandated by law or UCSD policy directive (e.g., standards for new building construction), since UCSD is already obliged to allocate funds for such projects. TGIF will fund projects which go above and beyond minimum requirements.
- All projects shall have a mechanism for evaluation and follow-up after funding has been dispersed. At minimum, a project plan must include a report made to the Grant-making Committee after successful (or unsuccessful) implementation. If a project is expected to have on-going benefits such as annual cost savings, the project plan must include a mechanism for tracking, recording, and reporting these benefits back to the Grant-making Committee on an (at least) annual basis.
- Projects must have significant undergraduate student involvement. Significant undergraduate involvement entails that no less than 75% of the team actively working on the project must be UCSD undergraduate students. It is preferred that the working team is comprised entirely of UCSD undergraduate students.
- Projects that are granted TGIF funding are required to present their work at The Green Initiative Fund Symposium and Banquet on [date TBA]. This presentation is mandatory. Failure to attend and present will negatively affect the organization’s and/or individual’s chances of receiving funding from TGIF in the future.
- It is preferred that technical projects that require the purchase and use of technical products and/or possible toxins have an advisor of that expertise available at the time of applying through the project’s completion.
What The Green Initiative Fund CANNOT finance:
TGIF does not fund labor.
TGIF does not fund travel.
TGIF does not fund events.
TGIF does not fund projects that require purchases made over the summer.
We look forward to reviewing your proposals,
TGIF Grant-Making Committee