Interested in sustainability? Want to get involved with one or more of UCSD’s social and environmental justice organizations? Sign up to get involved!
Students – Register Here
Student Organizations – Register Here
Be a friend of the Student Sustainability Collective
An organization affiliated with the SSC is an organization whose effort(s) represent one or more angles of sustainability, which include, but is not limited to:
- Civil and Human Rights (Indigenous, Migrant, LGBTQIA, Race and gender rights)
- Corporate Accountability (Fair Trade, Ensuring equal social and environmental rights)
- Energy and Waste (Conservation, Clean and accessible alternatives, Recycling, Composting)
- Food (Organic, Locally Accessible, Vegetarian/ Vegan, Health, Fair trade subsidies and labor standards)
- Urban Development and Transportation (Clean, accessible and affordable alternatives, Cyclist and pedestrian rights, sustainable building and development)
- Water (Conservation, Access and affordability, Anti-privatization, Human and environmental justice)
Overall, the organization seeks to create and maintain conditions under which humans and nature can exist in productive harmony, and works to fulfill the social, economic and other requirements of present and future generations. The most widely quoted definition internationally is that sustainability means “meeting the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.”
The sustainability-oriented student organization promotes sustainable development, activism and progress through education, technical cooperation and capacity building at UC San Diego.
The achievement of sustainable development requires the integration of its economic, environmental and social components at all levels. This is facilitated by continuous dialogue and action in cooperative partnership, focusing on the key, dynamic sustainable development issues listed above.
Benefits of Affiliation:
Sustainability-oriented organizations, events, projects, and activities have the opportunity to become supported by the Sustainability Resource Center and the SSC through:
Collaboration: Prevents the reinvention of efforts, events, programs and projects
- Networking: Builds a strong community of sustainability-oriented organizations
- Funding: Co-sponsorship for programming and projects
- Marketing: Recruitment, education, programming
- Can reserve the Sustainability Resource Center for events or meetings
Capacity Building: Accelerating new efforts and initiatives through collaboration
Student organizations and individuals can apply for funding for sustainability-oriented projects
Sustainability-oriented organizations, efforts, or projects can advertise through the SSC website.
Student organizations can utilize the SSC Sustainability Opportunity List to recruit new members, expand, develop and sustain efforts.
The SSC website hosts a master calendar that exhibits sustainability-oriented events
Student Sustainability Collective Collaboration Meetings
Sustainability-oriented student organizations are encouraged to send a delegate to SSCC meetings and network with one or more student directors to foster collaboration and capacity building.